Organizing a Club
This was a response by NYSORVA’s president, to the questions from a rider about how one would go about organizing a club.
1) Organize your working staff, i.e. president, vp, sec., treas., ride coordinator, etc. Whatever positions you want to create or ones that you can fill with people that will do WORK., NOT just riding buddies that want to ride but not do work.
2) Decide on a club name. Make an application. Decide on amount to charge for dues. Usually $25 single membership & $25 for family membership.
3) Find a place to meet comfortably. A VFW or Fire Hall (whatever).
4) Make a flyer and post it EVERYWHERE. Grocery stores, gas stations, dealers, where ever.
5) Put an ad in the paper requesting all interested off road riders to come out.
6) Try and get some dealers on board as discount sponsors to entice people to join. Usually dealers give 10% to club members.
7) Start signing landowners to allow for trail development.
This will take you some time. But work at it. Set attainable goals and make sure you complete them. It will happen quicker than you think. Once you have a legal place to ride, your membership will grow.
NYSORVA has worked out a deal for new Clubs to incorporate for a flat fee of $500.00.